Monday, November 4, 2013

Share The Road? Why Should I?


If I see another "Share The Road" sign with the silhouette of a cyclist on it I am going to run it over with my Jetta!


Not really. But you would rather I run over a traffic sign instead of a cyclist who didn't stop at a four-way intersection, right? Or maybe you wouldn't, if you're as frustrated as I am.

Honestly, is there a day when I don't see a cyclist who doesn't stop at an intersection, or rides on the wrong side of the road, or on the sidewalk, or doesn't stay in the bike lane that is clearly marked out for them? Sometimes I will see a small group of cyclists who decide to ride side by side instead of in a straight line on a semi-busy street, and then, get this, they get upset when I drive too close to them because I can't pass them without avoiding traffic. I think what bugs me the most is when a cyclist rides on the road, and instead of waiting like the rest of the cars for a brief pause or slow down of traffic, they use side walks as if they are suddenly considered pedestrians instead of motorists.

And yes, bicycles, though not containing motors, are considered vehicles according to the State of California because they must abide the laws of the road. Check out the California DMV website, or click the link on the bottom if you don't believe me. I don't ride a bike, but I do understand that it's not always easy as a cyclist. Sometimes when a bike lane is not big enough or clearly marked out, or if there is a car parked on the side of the street it can be intimidating and dangerous to a cyclist if passing vehicles don't give them enough space to ride on the road. And I will point out that I have seen vehicles who cut off or nearly knocked a cyclist off the road because they didn't see the cyclist or didn't look before turning. So it's not always the cyclist's fault if they have to slow down another vehicle, in which case I am glad to slow down and not rush a cyclist.

If you want, you can say I'm just writing this article with the purpose to bitch about cyclists who break the law.

Now why should I bother sharing the road if the cyclist fails to follow the rules of the road? Why should I make room if the cyclist neglects to give a signal that they are going to turn or get into the left-turn lane? Isn't it irritating when a cyclist thinks turning their head briefly to the left is an adequate signal for their intention to turn left? Hello? If motorists had to demonstrate proper hand signals when they took their driver's test I am pretty sure cyclists ought to know those signals as well.

Back in September 2012 there was a day when Santa Barbara police made a major crack down on cyclists who broke the rules of the road. The Independent said 59 tickets were given to cyclists that day. I like that the Santa Barbara police made a "special day" out of giving cyclists a whooping for disobeying traffic laws, laws which were meant to keep the roads as safe as possible for cyclists, motorists, and pedestrians alike, but why can't they step up the enforcement for cyclists like that every day? They may have struck a teeny bit of fear into a few cyclists by claiming there will be another unannounced day when police will turn on the heat for cyclists again, but one day with only 59 tickets given out isn't going to change the obedience of the majority of cyclists in Santa Barbara. For example, we have three colleges in the city, two with a high portion of students who use bicycles to get to school and around town all the time. Since there is a high population of college students in the area who use bicycles, and also since new students come in every year, it is going to take more than one day, a day that was over a year ago, to make a dent in cyclists' obedience to the law. And I'm not at all saying that college students are the ones to blame. In fact I would estimate that more than half of the cyclists I see who break the law are adults in maybe their thirties or forties.

And let me also add that, in my point of view, young children are the exception for using crosswalks and sidewalks while on bicycles, as long as they don't ride so fast to put pedestrians in danger. If children riding bicycles are young enough to need an adult with them while they are riding then that would be an exception for riding on a sidewalk. But the children should still learn proper hand signals and the rules of the road anyway.

Now what can I say in regards to a call to action at the end of my meaningful rant? Should I say "If you witness a cyclist breaking the law you should stop them and confront them"? Maybe, but would you really go out of your way to stop a cyclist for not using the bike lane? Most people would prefer to avoid conflict and instead let it be a "food stain" on their day. Could I say, "Call the police if you see a cyclist not stopping at a stop sign"? It would be the choice that didn't include confronting the cyclist personally, which most people would prefer. But again, would anyone go out of their way to call 911 to report something like that? My guess is unless someone gets hurt or put in danger no one will ever call for reinforcement. You can honk your horn, which would probably be what I would do if it were as serious as a cyclist not stopping at an intersection and putting crossing pedestrians in danger, or because they didn't signal and cut me off. So honestly I don't have a better, full-proof solution to addressing the issue of cyclists who don't follow the road laws that doesn't involve confrontation. That's probably why cyclists think they can get away with riding on the wrong side of the road.

Let me know if you come up with a solution or a way to battle cyclists who break the law and still expect you to share, or in some cases give up, the road.

Referred Sites:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffdl37.htm

http://www.independent.com/news/2012/sep/20/police-crack-down-bad-bicyclists/

No comments:

Post a Comment